Thursday, September 16, 2010

King Of Anything

Sara Bareilles - King Of Anything


Keep drinking coffee, stare me down across the table
While I look outside
So many things I’d say if only I were able
But I just keep quiet and count the cars that pass by

You’ve got opinions, man
We’re all entitled to ‘em, but I never asked
So let me thank you for your time, and try not to waste anymore of mine
And get out of here fast

I hate to break it to you babe, but I’m not drowning
There’s no one here to save

Who cares if you disagree?
You are not me
Who made you king of anything?
So you dare tell me who to be?
Who died and made you king of anything?

You sound so innocent, all full of good intent
Swear you know best
But you expect me to jump up on board with you
And ride off into your delusional sunset

I’m not the one who’s lost with no direction
But you’ll never see


I'm hopelessly stuck on this song. I believe it's the new breed of strong feminine music infused with a catchy mainstream melody. From the likes of Whitney Houston and Celine Deon who belted out notes that stood up to the still existing (except now we're fighting back)oppression toward women down to the timeless tunes of the Spice Girls who created a whole new image for us, and not to mention feisty girl bands like Lillix that say "we can have attitude so deal with it" .For years now, women have been able to express themselves through their music and lyrical masterpieces. Quite a long way from being damsels in distress waiting for her knight in shining armour so we could bestow our favor upon them. Maybe if guys actually took the time to read between the lines of "chick music", they'd prolly be a lot less assholes in the world. Granted most of the music I listen to are bellowed by bags of testosterone, there are just songs like these that make you think twice about the girly screams, inwardly or otherwise, we give out whenever we see a very interesting male specimen. hahaha. Most female artists sing of heart break or gooey lovey dovey feeling, not that there's anything wrong with that, because I'm truly a hopeless romantic, but finally, a song that stands up to the man in a very literal sense of the phrase.


And really, what is with men and being scared out of their wits of high powered, strong, intimidating women?

Who's the weaker specie now? :)

Cheers!

-jejecola-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. thumbs up :) and im on board your ship, je. studies show that if you're a single, successful doctor/lawyer at the age of let's say, 27, say goodbye to marriage. yes, because there aren't a lot of men with balls. lol. i hope really good looking ones would grow pairs and hook up with us. lol, but seriously, they say that women oppression isn't rampant nowadays but men's attitude towards women haven't changed one bit. they still think they are superior intellectually just because they have their biceps and steroids. psshh. -.- it's so overrated. lol. i know im ranting and i sound awful. im not good in collecting my thoughts, theyre just all over the place. toodles for now jeje. see ya tmrow :)

Jeje said...

That hypothetical 27 year old single, successful lawyer /doctor couldn't be the projection of your future self? :))
hahaha. well personally, I believe you should never trust a man with too much muscle.

Anonymous said...

sarah b. would be proud. :)